Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Week In

So, I have met all my new classes now and the students seem very nice. As WPP is not a mandatory class, I hope that students will be coming because they want to be there and see value in the learning related to workplace preparation. I only see students for 2 hours a week and so that is not much time to cover all the areas in our curriculum ... and I wonder about the relationships I will develop with students when I see them so little and when they are (rightfully) focused on their degree program and future careers.
This question popped into my mind yesterday when I saw two groups of students from my first and third Level 6 classes. I was so happy to see them and hear about their degree programs. And I was struck by how close they had remained, even though they had all gone off to various degree programs ... commerce, design, professional communications, IT, accounting and BIS. I loved seeing them all sitting around and hanging out ... I know they often go out for coffee, play basketball, tour around, eat lunch together and so on. That bonding and those close-knit relationships are things I really love about ESL and hope that that sort of mutual support and care can be carried over to WPP as well.
There is so much to learn about career development and workplace expectations in the Vietnamese context. I have started to learn a little bit about that and while I am grateful that I know the content of the WPP material really well, I am glad I have a bit of a gentle introduction to WPP as I begin to meet people at RMIT and both local and multinational employers and try to make sense of their standards and expectations of RMIT grads. I attended a networking event this past week, at a fancy restaurant called Shri, which I enjoyed a lot. I look forward to going to more such events and meeting people, especially employers, in the community. And of course, what would a networking event be without food? In this case, there were delicious canapés, which I accompanied with watermelon juice. I thought about the mango margaritas, but felt perhaps my tenure at RMIT was a bit too tenuous to go there just yet.
On to more food ... before I went home for holidays, my Vietnamese teacher, Thúy took me to a couple of places for noodles for my birthday. One was very reminiscent of some of the noodle places I used to go to in China, where the noodles were made in front of our eyes. These pics were taken at that location ... it was a lovely evening and the food was really delicious. I need to look for the card so I can find the address and go back one of these days. The young man in these pics, Loc, did agree to have his photo taken, but I think it wasn’t his preference. Owell. It really is for educational purposes ...
First there was measuring (by weight) the flour, eggs, oil, and water to make the dough.
Then came a whole lot of mixing ... all by hand. Can you imagine how strong his hands and forearms must be?
After this part, the dough was allowed to rest for a few minutes, while Loc prepared the kneading and cutting surface.The dough was divided into parts and rolled out into sections. Each section was then worked. Loc pulled and twisted and tossed the ropes of dough into the air. Each successive pass and combination of 'moves' meant the strands of noodles got thinner and thinner. It was really an interesting sight. I wonder if Marco Polo saw people making noodles in this manner 700 years ago.
When Loc had gotten the noodles to the desired thinness, he would toss them behind him to the broth area, where the noodles would be immersed into broth to be cooked and then to be combined with meat, seafood, or vegetables and served. Really delicious.
Hope all is well with you all and that summer is going well. School is out for some of you and I hope that means some great days by a lake, listening to loons, and having an occasional paddle for exercise. Others are traveling ... if so, I hope your trips are full of fun and light on stress. If your summer is focused on work, know that I am with you! Our time will come soon enough ... says the one who just returned from 6 weeks away ...

No comments: