Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Back at It

I have been back in Vietnam and I have to say it has been a bit dislocating ... I was not exactly ready to come back and I have had fairly severe (for me) jet lag, which is just now beginning to abate. And the weather ... hothothot ... and my phone didn’t work and I have a new job. But I feel like I am on the road to normalcy and things are starting to feel a bit more regular now.
It seems much focus this week has been on food, glorious food. On Saturday I did have delicious phở' from my favourite Phu My Hung restaurant Phở' 36. Then my new colleagues and I went for lunch at a Korean barbecue restaurant one lunch hour. It was nice to spend time with them all and get to know them a bit better. Then one evening, Barbara and Sara (RMIT colleagues who work in the English department) and I went to a restaurant called la brasserie, before going to the English Department trivia night at the Tavern Restaurant. Barbara and Sara had been to the restaurant before and said it was good, so we agreed to meet there for 6 ... plenty of time to get to the first question, which was set for 7:30. We were soooo wrong. The meal was right out of Fawlty Towers. From bringing red wine instead of white to bringing my main course 45 minutes before Barbara and Sara’s to overcharging me for my meal to not bringing Barbara and Sara’s dessert, the whole thing was quite a fiasco. And of course, we were waaaay late. The food was pretty good, however. We didn’t win trivia either.
So, considering our experience at la brasserie, last night’s meal at Cham Charm was quite wonderful. We went there to bid Barbara a fond adieu, as she is heading off to Australia for a month’s holidays. Cham Charm is a high-end restaurant in Phu My Hung ... not too near my part of PMH ... around a 7-minute taxi drive. It is probably the nicest restaurant I have been to in Vietnam, along with its sister restaurant, the Ming Dynasty.The decor is Champa, similar to what you would find in some parts of Central Vietnam (My Son) or Angkor but the cuisine is very eclectic ... Japanese, Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, and some Western ... with a major focus on seafood, particularly oysters. Yumyumyum. And the desserts ... omigoodness, they were great.We had a lovely time, enjoyed the physical surroundings immensely, and were enchanted by some of the beautiful customers. The little girls are not all sisters, although they were wearing matching ao dais. Their parents told us the kids were 3,3, 2 and 6 (from left to right). And, as it was buffet and/or cooked in front of you, we did not have to wait for anything. Well, we did have to wait a couple of minutes for slab ice cream, as there was a bit of a line from time to time. Very lovely evening!

As always, more pics on flickr ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/raven_chick. Hope all is well with people who have to do their own cooking:-)

No comments: