Pages

Monday, December 22, 2008

Information and Security ... Secure Information?

Reflecting on all the military might we saw during Qatar's National Day parade and tales of all the cameras at intersections and on highways, it occurred to me that Qatar is a pretty secure place. There are security guards everywhere; from my observation most of them are Nepali, or at least one company that employs mostly Nepali guards has the contract in many of the places that I frequent.
The other day, Errol and I went to the Aspire Center for a walk around the path. While there, I thought I would try and get some information about a concert by the Qatar Philharmonic Orchestra and to inquire about swimming. Getting information about the orchestra has been particularly difficult, and I am not sure why that is. The inaugural concerts were sold out and while to be expected, the frustrating part was not knowing where or when tickets would be available. At any rate, I had heard that the orchestra was performing at the Aspire Center, but it is a huge facility with at least 10 buildings and so it was unclear where to go. The first few guards I asked had no clue and then I heard that the concerts are at the Women's Sports Hall.
So, I found the Sports Hall and parked in an open lot ... there were signs for VIP entrance and players entrance, but knowing my place, decided to go and check out the player (aka plebian) entrance. Leaving Errol in the car, off I went. Nobody was in the one building, so I figured I was in the wrong spot. I went to another building ... the window washers told me it was closed but I could go around to the other side and it was open there. On the other side I met a very nice Nepali woman who told me that it was the Ladies Sports Hall but just for basketball and volleyball. When I inquired about swimming, she pointed me toward the building I had just been to and said to go to the front. When I inquired about the orchestra, she said it was in the same building! Off I went to the other building, feeling only a little guilty that I had abandoned Errol for at least 20 minutes by that time.
My confidence in the information the Nepali guard in Women's Sports' Building One had given me increased immeasurably when I saw a guy with a big tuba having a smoke at a doorway. So I asked him about a concert and was told that there was going to be one. That night! And then a nice lady with a violin took me in to inquire about tickets and someone in the musical (and mostly German-speaking) group told me tickets were available at Virgin Music in Villagio Mall. Okay then. Off I went to get info about swimming.
At the front and opened door a nice Nepali security guard gave me information on the pool. I think the ladies' pool is not open for the moment and there is another pool, also not open this week, that is being used. Nobody was available to give information, but I think I will just wait until the New Year before continuing on with my information gathering. It's all quite exhausting.
By the time I got back to the car, I am sure half an hour had elapsed and Errol was half asleep. Just as I was getting in the car, another Nepali security guard came and told me that I couldn't park where I was parked and it was a problem. But in the end I was given a nice smile and off I went. I hope I didn't get a traffic violation.
At any rate, off we went to Virgin, got the tickets and went to the concert. It was lovely. A surprisingly large turnout considering I had looked online for information about the concert for days and never found any. I think most people learn about the concerts because they are friends of the musicians. Sheesh! The program was Wagner's Meistersinger from Nurmberg/ Prelude Act 1, Beethoven's Piano Concerto No 5 OP 73 in E-flat major (with Rudolf Buchbinder on piano), and Brahms' Sumphony No 4 OP 98 in E minor. We thoroughly enjoyed the performance and hope to learn more about future concerts with less sleuthing.
Finally, all the Nepali security guards remind me of some of the folks we have looking after us at UC-Q. Four of the regulars are from Nepal.
Danraj is from Buttwal and has just been in Qatrar for 3 months or so. He often is working in the gate and has got the biggest smile. It's a great way to enter the grounds, waving at him.
Prem, who is looking a bit serious, has been here the longest - 4 years. He is from Surunga, in Jhapa district. Prem seems a little quieter than the others and is maybe the leader of the group.


Rajesh, on the left, is from Lamjung District and he has just been here 3 months. He says he is really from Pokhara now, as that
is where his family has moved.
Bhojraj, to the right, has been here for 2 years and he hails from Pokhara. He tells me I must go to Pokhara when we are in Nepal, as there is a very important festival starting on the 28th. He just became a father in December 15. His wife is in Nepal.
They are so excited I am going to Nepal and have been trying (in vain) to teach me more than "Namaste". It's hopeless.
They are lovely young men and I have enjoyed getting to know them just a bit. So today's news about about some violence that is occurring in Nepal at newspapers is distressing ... all over the world Nepalis are keeping other people safe. I hope someone is looking out for them at home.

No comments: