Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I found Mr Thanh!

Just before Errol and I went back to Canada, I went to the corner to see if I could get a haircut. A few months ago, I came across a lovely man, Mr Thanh, who worked in a salon right beside  Sacombank. I don’t know how it happened, but he was free at that time and I loved the haircut I got and the salon is about a 43-second walk from my apartment and the cut was only 50,000 VND, so what is not to like? Whenever I went back, everyone knew I was Thanh’s client. I became a regular!
Sometimes he is really busy and I have to come back another day, but that day he was eating his dinner; I told him I would come back but he assured me he was OK and to just sit down. As I was getting my hair cut, I got a very funny vibe from the shop owner, but I could not ask 20 QUESTIONS OR MORE TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THINGS due to language difficulties. Sure enough, when I got back from Canada, the salon had closed. Now, in Canada, they might have an appointment book, and hairdressers can usually call clients and let them know when and where they are relocating ... but here? Not so much. I kept trying to figure out how to find Mr Thanh and I could never decide on how I could ask people where the various employees of that salon had gone.
I digress, but when I was looking for the restaurant in Wuxi that sold delicious bai che ji, I walked up and down the street asking people “Ding Ding Ji?" But I decided I just could not walk up and down Nguyễn Văn Linh Street asking pitifully, “Mr Thanh ở đâu?" I mean I was deperate for bai che ji ...(^_^)...
So, I had semi-resigned myself to looking for a new hairdresser, when by chance today I found him ... or rather, he found me. I was walking along Nguyễn Đức Cảnh to the Fujifilm store to get my Laotian visa photo taken when all of a sudden there he was!  He had seen me walking by while he was sitting at a table in front of a little beauty salon tucked right beside the Lotteria. I was so happy to see him, and he seemed very happy to see me. After getting my photo taken, I went back for a manicure and pedicure (don’t need a haircut just yet) ... so I have a new place and I am still (and again) a regular! Hẹn Gap Lại, Thanh!

1 comment:

Lois said...

Aren't you just the lucky girl!
Lil