Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Walking Home

So, several times a week I walk home. As I have mentioned on numerous occasions, RMIT is on a very busy six-lane road (well, twelve lanes if you count that each of those lanes is actually a double lane) called Nguyễn Văn Linh Blvd.  However, the two kilometers or so between RMIT and my house is full of sights that you might not expect to see in such a large and modern city.  My friend, Barbara Laurie, also walks home and she also feels it is a very unique and interesting walk.  After chatting with her  about it the other day, I thought I would do a photo-journey to show what I see on my way home.  I hope you enjoy the view!

Front Gate at RMIT
It was a gorgeous day today. At one point it seemed it would pour buckets, but that passed, and when I left work it was beautiful with lovely late afternoon light.
Next Construction Project
Leaving the school, you can see the fence that encloses the next construction site. A new academic building is going up to join the existing academic building, the recreation centre, the administration building, and the residence. There is a lot of construction in the area, with a huge University of Economics going up nearby. It appears this district will have several new university campuses; I have heard that the Architecture University is also going to be in District 7.
Leaving RMIT
So, once past the gate, I turn left and see the xe om drivers and people who hang out near the entrance. Usually there are several xe om dirvers and a little roadside stand with drinks. Today, they had packed up by the time I left.
I was joined by Yen, who works in the English Language Resource Room (ELRC) and we both remarked it was the first time that we had ever seen anyone else we knew walk home. Yen prefers to walk on the ground along the curb, but I always walk on the pavement facing the traffic. The pavement is smoother and easier to walk along. Well not always ... HCMC is famous for people driving the wrong way down the street and several times I have come close to being buzzed by a motorbike from behind.
Fishing and Texting on the Bridge
First, we came to the bridge. People love bridges here and often there is someone fishing or exercising or just looking at the river at the one closest to RMIT. There is another red bridge going the other way where people like to have their wedding pictures taken.  Then we passed a guy who sells CDs. He has a player on his cart and so is always broadcasting songsJust past the bridge were a couple of people selling snakes. They are not always there, but I have seen them the last few days. Usually there are people selling crabs, but not today. One big duck remained by the time I headed home; there were lots of chickens and ducks by the side of the road at 7:30 a.m. The lady selling pineapples had packed up, as had the folks who sell shirts and jeans by the side of the road. Every day they lay down their tarps and unload their huge duffle bags of clothing and lay out their goods or hang them on the bamboo rack. During the rainy season, some of their working days are significantly shorter than others.
Snakes by the Kilo

Pretty Duck

First Salvage Yard ... Friendly Folk
Pooch
 As I continue walking, there is a swamp. Gradually, the swamp land is shrinking as developers drain the marshes. What a shame, as there are some lovely trees and birds.  I love to see the large white cranes circling over the swamp from the fifth floor at RMIT ... we should all know how important wetlands are, especially for people who love fish and seafood as much as the folks in Vietnam. Along the way, there are a few salvage operations ... folks who strip and refinish doors and windows, along with a few coffee places. Friendly folks. A few more coffee places, a truck washing place and then the stands that sell masks, raincoats, sunglasses, and helmets.
Roadside Mask, Raincoat, Sunglasses, and/or Helmet Stand

Someone I Like to Say "hi" to Most Days
Ms Yen at Trà Mỹ
Across a busy corner and then we are near the big restaurant, Trà My. I have never been in, but Yen assures me it is good, so maybe I will try it one day. There is usually a very friendly guy sitting on his motorbike on the corner ... I think he is a xe om driver, but he has never asked me about riding with him. He always speaks to me in English ...”How are you today?” I didn’t see him for about a month and I was very happy to see him back in his usual spot one day.
Look how adorable ...

Vendors on the Corner

Riding on the Sidewalk
Yen and I said “Chào” at the corner, as she turned and I continued. That is a crazy intersection ... so busy and people do NOT like to queue, so they drive all over the sidewalks and through red lights and right in front of you ... sort of like Qatar but not in Land Cruisers. At the best of times it is a difficult corner to get through, as the vendors take up virtually all the sidewalk. Between the small plastic tables and chairs for coffee and the gas, coffee, cigarette, sunglasses, nước mía vendors, umbrellas, small children, dogs, and assorted passers-by, there is precious little room to walk ... but throw dozens of motorbikes trying to squeeze in those narrow spaces as well, and it is ridiculous.

A Crush, A Crowd, A Congestion

Bia Hơi,
Right after the corner, there are some little garages, and large bia hơi, or fresh beer outdoor tavern. After that little section come the plant stores, several right in a row and there is always a lot of loading and unloading going on.
Plant Store
More friendly people and of course, my favourites, the geese, sadly down to three now. The geese looked a little dirty today, but did not appear to notice as they honked at the world and all its traffic with great confidence and authority. Not to mention majesty.
Geese, Geese, Geese.

They aren't afraid of your stinkin' traffic ....
Right after the geese is the little canal and there were several people fishing. Frequently, I see folks with nets, but today they all had rods.
Fishing in the Canal
Eventually there will be a large commercial development between the road and the Sky Garden apartments, with a large number of private villas, but that project seems to be currently on hold. Then today I saw a roadside motorbike fixer ... in this case with a basin of water so he could find punctures. He might get good business with this many riders. 
Future Construction Zone

Emergency Tire Repair
At the end of the grassy bit is the man who often has songbirds in cages. I fantasize about buying them all and letting them go free, but I fear their feathers have been clipped and they will be easily recaptured, so I just dream about their freedom.
Selling Songbirds
Alas. I had hoped to catch a glimpse of the young boy who sells roasted chestnuts. I have yet to buy any, but he always smiles and waves and encourages me to buy from him. Today would have been the day! Double alas.
PNC Bookstore

Wine Shop
At the end of the green space is the parade of shops that inhabit the first floor of Sky Garden One. First is FiviMart, a small grocery store, followed by PNC, a nice bookstore, a decorator place and then a wine store. Finally, I get to Nghia Beauty Nails, where I decided to drop in for a manicure and pedicure. At this point, my camera battery gave out, so that is where I will end my tale of my walk home. I will save the last few blocks for another day ...



My Phu My Hung Nail Salon

No comments: