Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Nice Day

This was a week of getting back into the swing of things. Teaching and meeting one new class ... the other one starts next week. In addition, I have learned how to do some mundane things, like pay my rent and some utility bills. That part hasn't been easy, with cross cultural difficulties arising all over the place. However, it has all worked out, I hope. One of the very nice things that has happened is that I now have a semi-regular xe om (motorbike taxi) driver who takes me to school every morning. Afternoons are somewhat more problematic, as Mr Nanh is a very popular guy. That's ok, because if I don't have anything pressing, I walk home and enjoy doing that. Or I take the bus. But on Friday, I texted Mr Nanh to see if he could take me to Phu My Hung to pay some bills and two minutes later he called to say to come downstairs right away. He said he was waiting at the doors of RMIT for me. I was so surprised that he got there so fast. What I didn't realize was he was about 5 minutes early for taking someone else home and thought he could fit in a quick return trip. When he found out what "pay bills" was, he called his friend who waits at Sky Garden and passed me over to him. The handoff occurred at KFC on the main corner of PMH and the next guy took me to the places I had to pay my bills. I felt a little like a ping pong ball but mission accomplished and it happened to be one of the more successful interactions of the week. Thank goodness for cell phones.
I have started having my Vietnamese lessons on Saturday mornings now, as I am too tired to learn a difficult language after work. I am not a gifted linguist when it comes to Vietnamese on any day of the week, but I seem to have a bit more on the ball on Saturday morning. Thuy, my teacher, and I are getting to know each other a bit better and she is an interesting person. So, today we spent a bit of time on dates and expressions of time. Oy. Not gifted. And I have to admit, I don't put a lot of effort into it, so I can't really expect miracles. Hope, yes. Expect, no !^_^! I would consider it quite the success if even one person understood even one thing I said. So far that hasn't happened.



A couple of days ago, Thi, one of my last semester's students called and said some students wanted to get together. I was a bit surprised, but also happy to have breakfast or lunch with them. We agreed they would come by after my Vietnamese lesson. Seven of them came and they brought huge quantities of fruit with them ... mangoes, mangosteen, green apples, and longan. I had never had mangosteen before. I think I had longan in China ... I seem to recall something about dragon eye. They were both very tasty. We sat around drinking tea and snacking and then it was time for lunch! We went to a local chicken place and had kim bab and a spicy Korean seafood dish and then chicken.It was lovely to see these students and to spend time with them Three of them hadn't passed their level, and so I was very happy to see that it hadn't interfered (I hope) with how they see or feel about me. The others will be starting in Level 6.2 and are appropriately nervous. Their parents have high expectations and RMIT is the most expensive school in the country, so they should do their best. Very cute. I think I should kee the playground shots for when they are CEOs.
Yesterday I had noticed a mother cat and a kitten near the steps of apartment block G (I am in F) and today there were three babies visible. So cute. So I am including pics, because calico kittens are so adorable. Tomorrow Mr. Nanh will take me to District 5 ... unless of course he has a better offer or prior engagement. Hahahaha.

3 comments:

Penny said...

Hi Sheila,
I love your blog-- so good to see Patty's face-- thank St. Jupiter for technology and good communicators. I am just beginning to use elluminate-- have you got access to this technology? Online teaching using a white board, audio, virtual web tours etc... we'll see how this goes during our transit strike (first in 30 years!)
Otherwise, life it tumbling along. I hope to have some good news to pass along to you in the New Year-- so I am crossing my fingers and toes. Not sure where you will be over Christmas-- if you are free to come here for XMAS dinner-- that would be a blast! Bring skates. If you are a traveling girl-- I will check in with you.

I appreciated you sent the blog link again-- this is cool and helps me stay in whacky touch with your students and friends. They love you, and invite you along which makes me feel your goodness spreading like Canadian goose fertilizer :) everywhere. Be well-- carry a big smile-- loves to you,
Penn

Jennifer said...

H Sheila,
Peter and I are enjoying your blogs immensely. When I was in Indonesia, I also took lessons, but I found that where I learnt most of the language was in the streets interacting. I also found that often the language spoken in the streets was not what I was taught. Hang in there, Vietnamese is quite difficult I believe. I also love mangosteens, a bit messy, but worth it. Regards. J&P

Sheila said...

Thanks, Penny and Jennifer
As inveterate travellers, you both should be writing blogs. Compared to my little ventures, you guys have had some ADventures!